Monday, April 11, 2011

Parenting - making it healthy

Tonight I read an article in the Star Tribune, a Minneapolis newspaper, explaining how new parents are a "high risk" population because they are not effectively managing their health (http://t.co/oza6nRF). I thought to myself, well this is not enlightening or surprising to many of us who have embarked on the adventures of parenthood. The sleepless nights, unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercise and turbulent emotional health status are just par for the course.

Regardless of the number of years you have been in the game, it is safe to assume that maintaining a healthy lifestyle "pre-children" looked a whole lot different before your beautiful offspring came along. In fact, for some of us, exercise was a staple in our weekly routine, a healthy diet was attainable, and sleep happened when it was suppose to. No doubt, healthy habits were easier to manage and prioritize. In addition, if we had a few "less than healthy" weeks, our bodies were more forgiving.

This article and topic intrigues me. As a parent of three children, I realized that with each child we welcomed into our family, the better I got at re-establishing my exercise routine and healthy habits. With my first daughter, it took a solid year before rejoining my tennis league. With my second, it took about nine months to begin a regular walking and running routine. Then with my last child, it took only four months for me to be out with a couple running partners at 5:45am each weekday morning. Was this because with each child I further realized the importance of maintaining my own healthy balance?

Despite my success with maintaining my pre-parenting exercise focus, with each child it was a challenge physically, but even tougher mentally. I felt starved for the physical exertion because I have always been an avid exerciser, but trapped with time constraints and demands that I never had to accommodate before. Most importantly, I felt I needed to be "on call" and available 24/7. How could I accomplish this and allow myself to truly re-energize regularly. My husband felt similar pressure, during his free time he felt compelled to help with the kids rather than relieve some stress.

I am glad to see that the article highlighted the "high risk" status of parents in an effort to heighten awareness of the additional support and resources that are needed by active parents. I often wonder if it is a matter of providing good programs that can reflect the needs of parents and their families, or if a cultural shift is needed to emphasize the importance of a parent's health in the upbringing of their children.

What if a parent's health status ultimately determined the fate of their child's success in this world? The child's ability to live a quality life to the fullest, manage their own health and be productive in our world. Would a study that proved the value of a parent's health status as the determining factor in a child's success convince parents to take better care of themselves. My guess would be that such a study would help, because when we become parents our biggest motivator  is to protect and enhance the lives of our children. Hummmm, interesting research idea....

No comments:

Post a Comment